Social Services Related Questions
What is our service area?
We serve residents of eastern Hamilton County living within the following zip codes:
37302 – Apison
37308 – Birchwood
37315 – Collegedale
37421 – East Brainerd/Tyner
37336 – Georgetown
37341 – Harrison
37416 – Highway 58/Bonny Oaks
37353 – McDonald
37363 – Ooltewah
If you don’t live in one of these zip code areas, resources are likely to exist at your location as well.
What services do we provide?
We provide help with utilities, rent, or life-sustaining medications, food through our Community Food Pantry, clothing, furniture, and household items through our thrift stores, cleaning supplies and personal care products that cannot be purchased with food stamps, baby layettes filled with newborn necessities, school supplies, Christmas toys, life coaching, and more! Visit our Services page to find more information on what we can do for you.
Can family members or friends call on behalf of a social services client?
No, we need to speak directly with the client.
Do we have “X” medical equipment?
We loan out bedside commodes, canes, crutches, shower chairs, walkers, and wheelchairs as they’re available. Medical equipment that does not fall under those categories is sold on the floor as regular merchandise.
Donation Related Questions
Do we take mattresses, box springs, and/or TVs?
No, we don’t. See our list of items we don’t accept, further down below.
Which items do we accept?
We can accept both used items and new items. Here are some additional details on various items:
- We will take kitchen cabinets if it’s just a couple units, and if they are in good condition.
- VHS tapes and cassettes are acceptable as long as they are originals and have not been re-recorded.
- We do accept scrap metal – no tin cans.
- We do accept appliances for scrap. Customers should clarify for employees at the Donation Dock that it is for scrap.
- Framed mirrors only.
- We do accept good quality cabinets, toilets, and sinks.
- We do accept flat screen TVs only, if they are in working condition.
- Sure, we’ll take bubble wrap.
Which items do we not accept?
- No aerosals, chemicals, or paint.
- No CPAP machines.
- No mattresses or box springs, whether new or used.
- No unframed mirrors.
- No modular office partitions.
- No paper or cardboard for recycling. (We recycle our own but not from the community. We do not accept nor need cardboard/moving boxes from the community.)
- No tires.
- No toilets unless they are of good quality.
- No older-style TVs.
- No shower doors.
What are the hours at the Donation Dock?
Our Donation Dock hours are: Sunday, 12-5pm | Monday-Thursday, 8am-5pm | Friday, 9am-3pm | Saturday, closed.
Can people schedule a pick-up?
We can send a truck out for – at minimum – two (2) pieces of quality furniture. Contact our Operations Manager for further questions.
Store Related Questions
What are our hours of operation?
Our Thrift Shop hours are: Sunday, 1-5pm | Monday-Thursday, 9am-8pm (Toy Shop closes at 6pm) | Friday, closed | Saturday, closed.
What are our holiday hours?
We are closed on New Year’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day. Additional holiday dates vary annually, and you can stay updated through our Facebook page or our News section as we post information there.
Concerning specific merchandise in the store:
We are not staffed to check the floors for merchandise. We could have an item in stock and in 5 minutes it would be gone, so if you’re wanting to find something specific in our stores, your best bet is to come down to the Samaritan Center yourself and check it out.